Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Prawns Curry

Prawns - even the word make my mouth water like a river :) They are delicious - fried, dry masala or even the curry. I learned this new curry from my mother-in-law when I was in India for a month's vacation. She made lots of other curries which I will definitely include in the blog as early as possible. She is really a very good cook and more than that she love to cook and she enjoys feeding people. Normally I am not a food addict but the food she cook makes me enjoy the appetite more and more. Mebbe thats the only reason I always gain 3-4 kilo weight whenever I go to Kerala, even if its for just 5 days. And this time we went for a whole month, so you guys can guess how much I tried not to put on the weight, but all in vain. :) Now being back in Holland, I am trying to reduce as much weight as I can. Lets see how it goes.....
So, anyways here I am putting up my new blog recipe from my Mother-in-law ... Hope you guys will enjoy it as much as I do ....


Ingredients :

Prawns - washed and cleaned properly - 250 gm
Small Onions - chopped properly - 3-4 nos
Mustard - 2 big tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 2 tsp
Fennel seed powder - 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - as per your taste
Coconut milk - 1 can
Oil - 2 tbsp

In a wok or pan ,add oil. When the Oil is hot enuff, add the mustard seeds and fry until they crackle. Now add the chopped onions in it and let it fry till they are crispy. After the onions are done, add the ginger garlic paste and let it fry for 1-2 minutes. When this is done, add all the dry powders(chilly, turmeric, cumin, fennel, cinnamon) and the salt lastly and mix it well. Add the prawns now and let they fry in this mixture for 2-3 minutes. We do not want the prawns to cook much as we need to cook it in the coconut milk. Now add the coconut milk to the prawns but lower the flame. Let the gravy cook for 5 -6 minutes or until your own desired consistency.

Your delicious prawns gravy is ready to be served with the hot bowl of steam rice or vegetable pulao. Enjoy eating ......

No comments: